Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Dear iPad, It's Not You, It's Me

Dear iPad,

I still remember the first time that we met. It was very unexpected, but I felt an immediate connection with you, almost as if we already knew each other from long before. I loved how simple your packaging was as I slipped you out of your box. From the first hello as I powered you on, we understood each other and took care of one another's needs. When no one else was around, you kept me entertained. When life was getting hectic, you kept me sane. And when I was sick of paying attention to other people, you let me know that it was okay and even helped to make me look productive in meetings when I was really just looking at viral memes. iPad, we've had a lot of good times together, some that I will never forget.

And while those memories will always last, the time has come for us to say goodbye. iPad, it's not you, it's me. I need change in my life, and frankly, while you continue to debut new looks, nothing has really changed with you on the inside.

It wasn't anything that you did to me exactly. A while back, I started playing around with Google Apps. We really hit it off, and one thing led to another resulting in Google Apps introducing me to more Google products.

Things were great when Steve was still around, but ever since he passed away I've felt like you have given up on reaching your full potential. I need someone who is more goal-oriented and continually strives to be her best self. Unfortunately, I don't feel like that describes you anymore. I know you were close with Steve, but you can't let his death hold you back any longer.

Remember a few months ago when we got into our rut? Well, I started hearing about a new tablet that was doing the things that made me fall in love with you two years ago. While I wrote everything I was hearing off as pure rumor and speculation, a few weeks ago, I finally saw this tablet with my own eyes. And to be honest, I fell in love all over again.

I think it's only fair that I tell you that her name is Nexus 7. She is one of Google Apps' best friends, and the three of us have been spending a lot of time together. Nexus 7 is more clear with me than you were. You should really just take a look into her screen sometime, and then you will understand what I'm saying.

iPad, you were getting sluggish too. Nexus 7 has the energy and processing speed that I need right now. On top of that, last month, when I woke up in the middle of the night to find you looking different from the way that you looked when I went to bed, I got angry. Some of my friends even said that your new appearance made them nasueous.

I could go on about the rift that has been created between the two of us, but I'm not here to hurt your feelings. I just want you to take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are becoming the tablet that you original set out to be.

I know that tablets can change, but I also know that they have to change themselves. No matter how hard I try, I cannot make you be the tablet that I wish you were.

I'm leaving, iPad. In fact, I've already been spending a lot of time with Nexus 7 since she and I first met. She is nice to me. Her user interface is beautiful. I like the way that she fits in the palm of my hand. And she is automatically updated by Google directly. I know that you have more apps that the Play Store has, but as I've grown up, I've come to need a more serious relationship with a tablet in my life. One that will help me to get work done instead of playing Amateur Surgeon 3 all the time.

I don't know if we will ever get back together. This may be goodbye forever. I guess it all just depends on you and whether or not you decide to make some changes. But for now, I'm going to sell you to someone else. I know this will hurt, but they're willing to pay as much money for your used 16GB second-generation model as I need for a brand new 32GB Nexus 7. Hopefully, things will work out with you and them.

Right now, we're over.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I had just taken the plunge about 2 months ago after being impressed with my local Apple store's level of support of me with my ipad and fact that I could get up to 2 years training for $99/yr if i bought a new Apple product from them. I got MacBook Air, and have already racked up at least 15-20 hours of 1:1 or small (2-3 people) training, and particularly like my across platform ability. Have been looking at what/ how/if I can arm/outfit my students- we've got Google apps @ school, and had looked at Nexus, but clearly I need to explore further. thanks for posting, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's this going? I hear it's been tougher on you than you thought ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hum, not sure if you're serious, but even if your'e not, your break-up with the iPad is not a far cry from where I am hanging out. Yep, love all the Google Apps and all I can do with it, and since Steve has left the promised land, Apple has gotten kinda' stale. Will confess I do the Google Apps on a MacBook Pro. Guess, I never really feel in love with the smaller keyboard hooked to the iPad, and know an iPad is not supposed to do what we do on a laptop. But it just seems a lot of what I need and want to do works so much better on the laptop. I have not sunken to the depths you have. Still use the iPad for play and appreciate that some things look and work better on it than even a MacBook Pro. So the divorce is not final, and we're not even at the separation stage, but feel your angst.

    ReplyDelete